Thursday, February 21, 2013

I love FREE supplies : supply company presenters

Hello new FREE art supplies!

Several posts back I mentioned how I had been contacted by a rep from an art supply company who wanted to come to my classroom to do a lesson with my kids and bring some free supplies along. I asked around and no one had ever done this before but my principal said it was ok.  Today the ladies came to my 6/7th grade class. If I understood right one was a rep from Dixon and the other from Prang. The lady from Prang was the local Oregon rep (a very very good person to know I decided). I thought you all may want to know what my experience was like if you ever get contacted for something similar. They did not ask me to write a review...they have no clue I have this blog.


Both were super nice and my kids liked them and they brought me a TON of cool stuff we got to keep! Some basic supplies like some markers and paintbrushes (which I always need and appreciate) and some  new/novel/funky things that I can't afford to order like neon colored pencils, metallic markers and metallic watercolors and a bunch of air cellulose clay.

Our lesson was artist trading cards with 3-D aspects but most of my kids either made something out of their clay or made a drawing on the card. Only a few were able to figure out how to incorporated the 3-D into the card. As far as the lesson went, it was too open ended for one class period. My kids like to plan, make rough drafts, have a topic to work within...that may reflect my teaching style or this batch of kids, or the age... or a bit of each. The presenters are going to another middle school art room tomorrow (a friend of mine) so I helped them brainstorm how to alter the lesson for tomorrow. I suggested they have the kids make music themed cards with 3-D music notes and instruments and headphones and such. Thanks to one of my 6th grade students for the suggestion.
the flute is only four inches long! The detail she was able to make is amazing!





Remember this young man from a previous post?



What my kids did LOVE was the supplies. Give 6th graders metallic and neon things and they are in heaven. Some really liked the air dry clay and others found it hard to work with because it doesn't stick to itself as readily as wet clay. They really liked the metallic watercolors which I also like but have never have been able to justify buying. What we really loved were the Prang metallic markers which were awesome on black paper. I think they left me 6 sets of them! If they hold up they are something I may just have to get for special lessons.



If I am doing my math right they left me about $300 worth of supplies and all I had to do was let them test a lesson with one class. Um...hello best deal ever! Will I do it again if I get asked? yep.  Does it make me more likely to order Prang stuff...well I already like there stuff so I guess it just reinforces my like of their products.

What would you do with all these new metallic supplies?

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!! Congrats on the freebies!! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete